Newcrest is one of the world’s largest gold mining companies and operates mines in four countries on the whole. Focus on long-term value creation with an emphasis on three key value drivers: maintaining low costs, growing reserves and production and using capital efficiently. Newcrest’s mission is to deliver superior returns from finding, developing and operating gold/copper mines. Our vision is to be the Miner of choice™. Furthermore, we will lead the way in safe, responsible, efficient and profitable mining. Given this point, Newcrest mining offer Newcrest scholarship.
This Newcrest scholarship is available to:
Level of study:
Year of study:
The purpose of the newcrest scholarship is to encourage and support meritorious 2nd year Bachelor of Engineering students complete their program in like manner. As per correspondingly to newcrest scholarship rules 3 (2) specific disciplines eligible for these scholarships also to be advised each year in the same way.
Newcrest scholarship award value:
Newcrest scholarship duration:
The newcrest scholarship is open to applicants who or equally:
- are Australian citizens or New Zealand or Australian Permanent Residents; and
- are enrolled full-time in the third semester of the Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor Engineering (Honours) program (including a dual program that includes the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours); and the integrated Bachelor of Engineering / Master of Engineering or Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) / Master of Engineering program), in a relevant field; and
- achieved a GPA of at least 5 during the first two semesters of the program; and
- does not hold another scholarship that the Associate Dean considers to be similar.
As correspondingly per rule 3 (2) for 2018 Newcrest Mining will accept scholarship applications from students enrolled in the third semester of the Approved Undergraduate Engineering program in any field of engineering.
Additional benefits of newcrest scholarship
Newcrest may offer the recipient any of the following opportunities –
- thesis mentoring;
- other mentoring as appropriate;
- vacation employment at any Newcrest site for any period during the period in which the recipient holds the scholarship, determined by Newcrest, in consultation with the recipient of course.
Newcrest scholarship selection criteria
The scholarship is awarded to the applicant showing greatest merit as demonstrated by or equally to:
- academic achievement in courses undertaken during the first two semesters of an approved undergraduate Engineering program; and
- strength of interest that the applicant demonstrates in completing at least one period of vacation employment at Newcrest; and
- strong health, safety and environment mindset; and
- strong work ethic and conduct which aligns to Newcrest’s values and behaviours; and
- high level of team skills; and
- any other matter that the selection committee considers to be relevant to the applicant’s future success in the engineering profession.
In the final analysis, the selection committee may decide to interview short-listed applicants.
Preference for 1 scholarship will be given to the applicant enrolled in a discipline of mining engineering, uniquely showing greatest merit.
In these rules-
Approved Undergraduate Engineering Program includes the Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) or integrated Bachelor of Engineering / Master of Engineering or Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) / Master of Engineering program or a dual program, that includes the Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) program.
Associate Dean means the Associate Dean (Academic), Faculty of Engineering, Architecture and Information Technology.
Newcrest means Newcrest Operations Limited.
Relevant Field means the field or fields of engineering within the Approved Undergraduate Engineering Program as determined annually by the Associate Dean, after consultation with Newcrest.
Scholarship means the Newcrest Mining Engineering Scholarship.
Domestic student means a student who is or equally—
(a) an Australian citizen; or
(b) a New Zealand citizen; or
(c) the holder of a permanent visa for Australia.
The recipient may hold the scholarship for up to 3 years in brief, subject to the recipient –
- continuing to be enrolled full-time in the approved undergraduate Engineering program in a relevant field; and
- achieving a GPA of at least 5 for each semester of study; and
- conducting themselves in a professional manner while performing any duties of vacation employment; and
- acting in accordance with Newcrest’s values during the period in which the recipient holds the scholarship.
- You are encouraged to read the definitive rules in advance for this scholarship prior to application, in particular any specific eligibility conditions and check the FAQs if you have any questions.
- It is generally not allowed at all to hold more than one scholarship of the same type concurrently.
Faculty of EAIT