Please note the 2018 scholarship intake is now close already.
The Rio Tinto Indigenous Scholarship programme objective at supporting Indigenous people who are studying at a tertiary (university – for the most part bachelor degree or higher) level. The programme is a direct result of the shared commitment between Rio Tinto and Aboriginal groups, especially within the area of operations in the Pilbara. Even though application for 2018 has closed recently, but you can save the article as reference for next year opening.
Rio Tinto Indigenous Scholarship programme aims
The Rio Tinto Indigenous Scholarship programme uniquely aims to:
- Benefit Indigenous people, in particular those belonging to Traditional Owner groups in area of operations within the Pilbara.
- Support Indigenous people in successfully completing tertiary studies.
- Provide a pipeline opportunity of tertiary-qualified Indigenous people for employment at Rio Tinto.
- Furthermore, contribute towards the sustainable development of the Pilbara region.
Indigenous people who are recognised outside of the Pilbara area of operations are also similarly eligible to apply in the same fashion.
Rio Tinto Indigenous Scholarship requirements
To be eligible for a Rio Tinto Indigenous Scholarship you must or equally:
- Australian resident.
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander decent identically.
- Be able to provide evidence of your Indigenous identity by means of recognition with a ‘common seal’ from the relevant Indigenous group.
- Meet Australian Taxation Office (ATO) requirements ensuring the funds provided are tax exempt by:
- Full-time student.
- Enrolled at a Western Australian university.
- Must not an employee as a condition of their scholarship.
- Not in contract wholly or principally for their labour.
- Must not require to provide personal services now or in the future.
- The scholarship must be principally for educational purposes.
- If a scholar does not meet the ATO requirements they are responsible for ensuring appropriate individual taxation advice is sought on their behalf.
- Moreover, demonstrate strong academic achievement and potential.